January 05, 2012

And the bad

Sometimes it really sucks to work with At-Risk kids. This is especially true when you find out that they haven't overcome the risks.

Near the end of the last school year I found out that a former student of mine did something exceedingly stupid. He tried to steal a laptop from a little girl on the street. Sadly, she wouldn't let go of her laptop and was drug behind the car...killing her. The boy, and the his friend with him, were caught and thrown in prison.


A facebook message tonight alerted me to the fact that my student will probably never see the outside world again. He was charged with murder 1 and a couple of other charges including trafficing.

I don't know how to feel about this. He was (as far as I knew him) a good kid who just deserved a chance.  But, I'm also glad that he will be paying the consequences for this.

0 comments: