August 13, 2007

Treading Water and Other Past times

My feet hurt a bit, my mind is whirling, and I should be working on tomorrow's lesson plans, but I'm distracting myself a bit. I thought it might be a good time to explain what's been happening the last week or two....why I've been non communicative 'n such.

Today was the first day of school. Amazingly smooth, knock on wood, but I'm not counting it a win yet. It seems that most of the students who will be in the afternoon/evening classes either haven't registered yet or were too cool to show up to the first day of classes. I don't know what to hope for. My largest class today was 12 students. The roster said 16. The smallest class was four. Six were registered.

The last week and a half have been spent frantically trying to get pieces put back together. Trying to understand all the new procedures and rules while not getting nearly enough information to start planning my classes. Finally, somewhere around Wednesday one of the returning teachers noticed that all the new teachers were freaking out (Yay I'm not the only one!) and pointed this out to the administrators. They finally listened. There was a large meeting that was primarily what don't we understand questions and then lots of classroom work time. I'm positive that several new teachers had expressed our insecurities to the school leaders, but they must have chalked it up to new school jitters. Honestly, I think this new school will be great. Not nearly as daunting as it seemed earlier, but having information is always helpful in that respect.

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to be starting a school blog. I'm sure there will be good stories....such as I apparently have the only class that doesn't know how to compete in a pizza eating contest. Out of a team of four, two showed up and then those to ate slow slow slow. It was just sad.

In the not school related world I've been busy getting myself sorted out. A few people have expressed concerns about my being unsettled and insecure. Here's the thing there have been / are some big changes happening in my life. I don't think they are bad at all. In fact, most seem positive. However, some of these changes take more than a bit of soul searching and reevaluating beliefs. To be slightly less cryptic I'm looking at religions and where my faith actually lies. I've felt for a long time that I no longer fit well under Wiccan, but wasn't ready or willing to look at it and myself. For various reasons and at all sorts of times I started having conversations regarding Christianity with people. I'm not sure where I'll end up within the spectrum but it is a very real possibility for me. This is a big change.

These two things combined with a whole host of daily life things such as money issues, crazy problems at Verizon, continuing to try things with Teel, idiot neighbors, and an insane cat have been keeping me busy lately. But really, everything is fine. I asked for and pursued everything that I'm currently dealing with. This is good.

0 comments: